2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:08:26 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Alcatel-Lucent vapor intrusion testing, New Providence, New Jersey

Test results coming in from Alcatel Lucent vapor intrusion testing

By Tracy Ness
Independent Press
January 24, 2011

NEW PROVIDENCE - Last November homeowners in New Providence and Berkeley Heights were surprised to receive letters from Alcatel-Lucent requesting permission to conduct vapor testing in their homes. The tests would determine if homes primarily along South Street had been impacted by ground water contaminated with the chemical Trichloroethylene or TCE, a known carcinogen. At least one South Street homeowner and Faith Lutheran Church received their results and they were negative.

"The preliminary report shows no signs of TCE in the ground water or air samples. I had asked if they were going to ever return to test and they would only come out to test again if the result was positive," said the homeowner who did not wish to be identified. "I inquired about obtaining updates on the results of the remaining tests and a spokesperson for Alcatel Lucent said they would get back to me. Still I can't help but question the number of cancer cases in the areas tested."

http://www.nj.com/independentpress/index.ssf/2011/01/test_results_coming_in_from_al.html