2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:57:49 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Downtown Streetscape Project, Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Transforming Government Street: Phase two of streetscape project begins

Cherie Ward
The Mississippi Press
December 18, 2010

OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss. -- Phase two of the city's Downtown Streetscape Project kicked off this week with the planting of 15 live oak trees on Government Street and Washington Avenue.

"Phase two of the Streetscape Project seeks to transform Government Street into as beautiful a place as Washington Avenue," said Eric Meyer, director of community development and planning.

"It's often difficult to rehab former dry-cleaning businesses because of contaminates," Cody said. "The city was able to acquire a service grant from DEQ to do a brownfield assessment, evaluating the levels of contaminates on the property site. Luckily, it was found to be a very clean dry-cleaning site and it will greatly enhance our downtown area, especially in providing parking for our many events. Downtown often becomes congested. This new parking lot will not only alleviate that problem, but create green space."

For the entire article, see
http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-living/2010/12/transforming_government_street_phase_two_of_streetscape_project_begins.html