2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <petestrauss1@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:28:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Linden Solar Farm, New Jersey

Lenny:

I originally thought the same thing you did, and perhaps the article is written poorly, and you may be correct.   My calculations were incorrect because the number of cars I used only refers to 20 projects underway, not the 80 projects that cost $515 million.  So if we just take an average (i.e., assuming all projects are equal), it would cost $44,000 per vehicle. The article states  that:

"The 20-plus projects under development will produce enough energy to power about 4,900 homes and eliminate 23,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions – the equivalent of removing nearly 2,800 cars from the road for one year. "

A typical automobile's yearly emissions can be calculated using http://www.epa.gov/oms/climate/420f05004.htm (EPA).   This estimates that each vehicle emits in the range of 5.2 - 5.5 metric tons CO2e/per year.  Dividing that into 23,000  would equate to about 4,300 vehicles per year.  Because EPA's estimates represent a broad average, I think it is consistent.

The two questions that we don't know the answer to are:  1) what PSE&G has assumed it was offsetting — all energy is not the same in terms of GHG emissions; as we know, gas is more efficient than coal in terms of GHG emissions per unit of energy.  I suppose that someone could ask PSE&G, or perhaps it was provided in a regulatory filing (because they will ask rate payers to pay); and, 2) whether the justification for the costs are for each year or only for one year.

Peter