2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Colorado Uranium Mills

Bill requiring Cotter cleanup now law

Gov. Bill Ritter says future generations should inherit a cleaner environment.

By PATRICK MALONE
Pueblo Chieftain (CO)
June 9, 2010

CANON CITY - The Arkansas River rushed a little higher than usual, and the Royal Gorge Route Rail Road whistle bellowed like any other day. But, Tuesday was no ordinary day here.

Gov. Bill Ritter was in town to sign into a law a bill that holds uranium mills, such as the Cotter operation in Canon City, accountable for cleaning up past pollution before taking on new materials.

"We should think not about ourselves, but about the generations to come" when it comes to protecting the environment, Ritter said. "It's incumbent on us to turn this state over to the generation after us and the one that follows in a better way than we found it."

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_cea39ed8-7394-11df-a895-001cc4c002e0.html