2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 13:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: Re: Privacy vs. the public's right to know]

From: 	mallacci@optonline.net

On balance, anonymity is not helpful and ultimately aids the polluter.
While identification of a property may stigmatize it and result in a
negative impact on an attempted sale, the sale would be to someone else
who would probably have to unknowingly take up the nightmare of living
in the affected neighborhood.  In addition, the owner would have the
advantage of using the stigmatization to file a tax appeal for a
reduction of assessment.

Making the information public may help to keep the pressure on for the
most thorough clean-up possible.  If so inclined, the polluter is less
likely to be able to "cover up" the issue.  The public has a right to know.

MaryAnn