2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 18:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Georgia-Pacific site, Gaylord, Michigan

Identifying toxic hot spots first priority at Eco Park

By Chris Engle
Gaylord Herald-Times (MI)
Friday, May 14, 2010 1:24 PM EDT

GAYLORD - A $743,750 brownfield redevelopment grant will be used to determine the forms and extent of contamination at the former Georgia-Pacific (G-P) site before development of an eco-industrial park takes place there.

Per state law, G-P and International Paper would pay for cleanup and/or containment of potentially hazardous sites if any are found, according to Robert McCann, spokesperson for the Department of Natural Resources and Environment (DNRE).

"We have two liable parties - G-P and International Paper. Should contamination be found, we'll work with the parties responsible," McCann said. "Under Michigan law, those responsible for contamination are responsible for cleanup."

http://www.gaylordheraldtimes.com/articles/2010/05/14/news/top_stories/doc4bed853d06f98357593222.txt