2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Evans Paull" <epaull@nemw.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:14:04 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Research Question

Title: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Research Question
Here, below, is what David Lloyd sent me in relation to state reporting of sites going through their programs.  This indicates that a little more than 10,000 sites were being cleaned up annually in the years 2006-08.  We looked at previous EPA reporting from state programs when we published our Economic and Environmental Impact of Brownfields Analysis in 2008 (available at http://www.nemw.org/images/stories/documents/EnvironEconImpactsBFRedev.pdf, but you may have to copy the URL into your browser).  We concluded that the pace of state-overseen cleanups was 6,000 - 7,000 sites annually in the years preceding 2006.  Thus, as you would expect, the pace for 2006 -2008 was significantly higher than the pre-2006 period.  The post-2008 numbers are not in but it will be really interesting to see how much they drop off.

Anyone using any of these data sources should be aware that there are vast differences in the way states report sites, for example petroleum sites are reported in some states but not others.

Evans Paull, Senior Policy Analyst

Northeast Midwest Institute

50 F Street, NW

Washington, DC 20001