2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:01:07 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "DEC expands Meeker plume testing, " Greenpoint, Brooklyn, New York

DEC expands Meeker plume testing

By Aaron Short
Courier-Life Publications (NY)
February 10, 2010

State Environmental and Health officials released new findings regarding a soil gas plume underneath Meeker Avenue in the northeast corner of Greenpoint, which include the discovery of very high levels of a toxin in the groundwater on an industrial lot.

At a public meeting on February 4 in St. Cecilia's Church Auditorium (24 North Henry St.), Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Project Manager David Harrington noted that soil gas samplings under the southwest corner of Norman and Kingsland Avenues found 73 million parts per billion of PCE, or perchloroethylene, a chemical commonly used in industrial dry cleaning.

"We got hit in the face with it before we got our gear on," said Harrington. "It smelled like white-out times a thousand with a lot of sugar thrown in for a couple of seconds until my nasal lining burned out. That's pure product. If you smell something like that, that's when you know you've got the good stuff."

http://www.yournabe.com/articles/2010/02/08/brooklyn/courier-yn_brooklyn_front_page-meekerfeb.txt