2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Indianapolis (IN) recovers from Ertel

Press release
City of Indianapolis
August 26, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - The City of Indianapolis succeeded in its first step to
secure repayment of millions of taxpayer dollars used to clean up a
contaminated eastside Brownfield site. An August 20th judgment secured against the Ertel Manufacturing Corporation found the company caused or contributed to environmental contamination at their former site on Dr. Andrew J. Brown Avenue. The case will now proceed with a determination of damages, estimated by the City to be more than $5 million.

"This case should send a clear message: if you pollute our
neighborhoods, you will pay," said Mayor Greg Ballard. "I pledged
leaner, greener government that protects taxpayer dollars and keeps Indianapolis safe and clean. As a central part of our commitment to making Indianapolis a great place to live and work, we are fighting those who pollute our community. This case will move forward to recover millions for the City's clean up efforts, but I am especially pleased that it protects our citizens and our environment."

For the entire release, see
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=37367#middle