2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Berman.Laurel@epamail.epa.gov
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Research on public perception of brownfields to parks?

All:

Chris DeSousa is an excellent contact on this topic.   Dr. DeSousa was a partner on the Menomonee Valley Benchmarking Initiative: http://epic.cuir.uwm.edu/mvbi/05_report.htm.  (See also the "contacts" link on this website for his contact information.)  Creation of green space from former industrial areas was one outcome of redevelopment of the Menomonee Valley.

Through our (ATSDR) brownfields/land reuse program, we worked with Dr. DeSousa on a community health/brownfields project in Milwaukee.  Some of his students participated in the aspect of this project focused on the potential to create more neighborhood parks and tot lots from vacant lots which were brownfields (the corresponding report is available by e-mailing a request to: atsdr.landreuse@cdc.gov).  We also were fortunate to recently co-author a book chapter with him re: brownfields and public health this spring, which will be published in a book by Michigan State University Press.

In the communities ATSDR works with, increasing green space has been a key focus.  Community members often suggest converting former brownfields to parks.  Remediation standards can be followed to ensure the protection of public health, and the end result of a park with recreational opportunities can lead to many public health improvements.  To ensure the success of a project, we suggest working with the community to communicate any risks associated with sites prior to and during redevelopment, including the type(s) and extent of contamination and the intended end use as a park.  The local health department can assist with this.  We also have a regional office in NYC, through which we can offer technical assistance regarding community involvement in brownfields redevelopment.

Finally, here is an article that may be of interest:
Vitamin G: effects of green space on health, well-being, and social safety
Peter P Groenewegen*1,2, Agnes E van den Berg3,4, Sjerp de Vries3 and
Robert A Verheij1
This was published in BMC Public Health
Published: 07 June 2006
BMC Public Health 2006, 6:149 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-6-149
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/6/149

Laurel Berman

Laurel Berman, MS, PhD
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
77 West Jackson Blvd.
Room 413
Chicago, IL 60604
LABerman@cdc.gov
Phone: 312-886-7476
Cell: 312-315-7011
Fax: 312-886-6066

"Robert Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Sent by: brownfields-bounces@lists.cpeo.org

08/21/2009 10:52 AM

"'Ilan, Lee'" <lilan@cityhall.nyc.gov>, <Brownfields@lists.cpeo.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CPEO-BIF] Research on public perception of brownfields to        parks?

I wWould track down Professor Sousa -  I think he has a new book coming out on that topic or closely related at least

Bob Paterson

Chris De Sousa, Turning Brownfields into Green Space in the City of Toronto, Landscape and Urban Planning, 62(4), 2003, pp. 181-198.

Chris De Sousa, Brownfield redevelopment in Toronto: an examination of past trends and future prospects, Land Use Policy, 19(4), 2002, pp. 297-309.