2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 01:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Ojibwe band sets standards

Mille Lacs Band to seek public comment on soil cleanup

Brainerd Daily Dispatch (MN)
August 8, 2009

ONAMIA - Later this month, the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe will begin seeking public comment on its proposed brownfield cleanup standards.

These standards will formalize the requirements for cleaning up pollution-contaminated soils, groundwater, surface water and sediments on band lands.

"The Mille Lacs Band does not have a lot of contaminated lands - that is not the issue," Curt Kalk, Mille Lacs Band commissioner of natural resources, said in a news release. "The issue is that when we do identify a contaminated area, or if an accident occurs and pollutants are released, we want to be as prepared as possible to clean up the brownfield area. Having approved cleanup standards in place will help ensure readiness."

The Mille Lacs Band was among the first American Indian tribes in the nation to develop a brownfield program when, in 2002, it received its first brownfield 128(a) grant.

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stories/080809/new_20090808020.shtml