2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:46:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Buick City, Flint, Michigan

Buick City, other brownfield redevelopment efforts hinge on environmental liability responsibility, Motors Liquidation Co. sale

by Melissa Burden
Flint Journal (MI)
July 30, 2009

FLINT, Michigan -- With up to 600 jobs and redevelopment of the vast Buick City complex at stake, the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce and community leaders are looking to the public to raise awareness of environmental liability hang-ups and an auction that could derail the project.

Officials have said that an unnamed investor wants to transform the about 220-acre Buick City site into a multimillion dollar rail-to-rail and rail-to-truck intermodal facility, creating up to 600 jobs, plus construction jobs.

"Our hard work may be lost if we don't resolve the brownfield issue," said Tim Herman, chief executive officer of the chamber, which along with other area leaders has spent hundreds of hours on the Buick City project over the past three years.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/07/buick_city_other_brownfield_re.html