2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Port of Vancouver, Washington TCE cleanup

Port steps up tainted groundwater work
Project will draw industrial solvent out of Fruit Valley site

By Erik Robinson
Columbian (WA)
June 11, 2009

Officials with the Port of Vancouver this month flipped the switch on an office tower-sized gadget designed to remove an industrial solvent tainting groundwater below the Fruit Valley neighborhood.

The operator's directions essentially go like this:

- Install a groundwater pump capable of sucking in 2,500 gallons per minute. Spill the water through a pair of air-stripping towers in a process called sparging. Blow warm air through honeycombed packing material, pulling the volatile compound out of the water and venting it harmlessly into the outdoor air.

- Continue this process for decades into the future.

"We are very proud to be accelerating the cleanup of this important water resource for our community, and eliminating a major environmental concern for our neighbors in Fruit Valley," port Executive Director Larry Paulson said in a prepared statement.

Earlier this year, the port installed the $5.2 million groundwater pump and air-stripping towers on port-owned property at the former Swan Manufacturing site off Fourth Plain Boulevard. Port officials estimate annual operation and maintenance costs to be $325,000.

http://www.columbian.com/article/20090612/NEWS02/706129942/Port+steps+up+tainted+groundwater+work