2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Kiley Barrel pollution, Somerville, Massachusetts

Deadly soil: Tests say ground near site of Kiley Barrel contaminated

By Auditi Guha
Somerville Journal
June 10, 2009

Somerville —

Horace Cetoude has been living on Allen Street for 22 years and eating vegetables that he has been growing in his backyard. So he was shocked to learn about the high incidence of cancer and contaminated soil in his neighborhood at a meeting on Monday night.

"I didn't know. Just found out," Cetoude said. "I love my garden. I grow all kinds of flowers and vegetables."

About a dozen residents attended a community meeting at the police station on June 8, 2009 for a presentation about recent soil, water and air testing in and around the former Kiley Barrel site in Union Square.

Officials conducting the testing are trying to find out the extent of the problem, but confirmed that they have found arsenic and lead traces at the sites tested. They plan to conduct two additional rounds of sub-slab soil gas monitoring, install new monitoring wells in the soil and will meet with property owners. The time from testing to getting the results can be about 45 days.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/somerville/news/x313681521/Deadly-soil-Tests-say-ground-near-site-of-Kiley-Barrel-contaminated?view=print