2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:20:18 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] School District property, Everett, Washington

Tainted soil costly for Everett district

By Eric Stevick
Everett Herald (WA)
May 24, 2009

EVERETT -- The Everett School District likely will have to pay more than $450,000 to haul contaminated soil from land that could someday be home to a new administration building.

More than 300 truckloads of dirt from the site off Broadway and 41st Street SE are expected to be removed this summer.

"We plan to start as soon as we can," said Mike Gunn, the district's facilities director.

Records from the state Department of Ecology show soil and groundwater contamination from diesel and gasoline on the site. The district in 1986 bought the property, which once housed gas stations and a fuel distribution company.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090524/NEWS01/705249902&news01ad=1#Tainted.soil.costly.for.Everett.district.