2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Victor Mill, Spartanburg County, South Carolina

Mill cleanup deal sought

Spartanburg County's goal: Endorse Victor Mill agreement March 16

By Nan Lundeen
GREATER GREER NEWS (SC)
March 10, 2009

After many years of waiting for the rubble-strewn, rat-infested, carcinogen-contaminated Victor Mill to be cleaned up in the midst of their neighborhood, residents could see pen and ink put to paper on a cleanup agreement March 16.

Spartanburg County Assistant Administrator Chris Story said the County Council may be able to endorse a proposed agreement between the county and ReGenesis Inc., the Spartanburg-based nonprofit that would oversee mitigation, at its next meeting that begins 5:30 p.m. March 16.

When could cleanup begin?

"We will hurry, but we will do so cautiously," Story said.

The site is contaminated with -- among other pollutants -- PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, the most toxic of the carcinogenic PAHs found there being benzo(a)pyrene, according to an assessment done for the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090310/GGN/903100305/1069/YOURUPSTATE01