2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: LSchnapf@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Brownfields Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

I suspect that the Michigan brownfield bond fund would not be running out of money if a more reasonable definition of brownfield site was used. Based on news articles earlier this year that Lenny has been so kind to forward to the listserve, It seems that any under-utilized building including an old dormitory building qualifies as a brownfield.

Not every dilapidated building that has asbestos, lead-based paint or even an old UST should necessarily be considered a brownfield site. Seems to me that in states with limited funds, brownfield programs should not be used to fix what is often times an underlying economic problem.

Lawrence Schnapf
Adjunct Professor-New York Law School
55 E.87th Street #8B/8C
New York, NY 10128