2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:57:56 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Kimberton Elementary School, East Pikeland Township, Pennsylvania

A big waste of space?
Debate over proposed school near Superfund site heats up in Chester County

By WILLIAM BENDER
Philadelphia Daily News (PA)
June 19, 2008

DONNA JACKSON has nothing against the Phoenixville Area School District's plan to build an environmentally friendly "green" school in the rolling hills off Route 113 in East Pikeland Township, Chester County.

What concerns her - and an increasing number of other parents in the district - is that the 650-student Kimberton Elementary School would stand alongside a federal Superfund hazardous-waste site.

"It's, to me, as safe as any site for potential school development that I've seen," said Bruce Molholt, a toxicologist and adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Institute for Environmental Studies.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20080619_A_big_waste_of_space_.html