2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Peter B. Meyer" <pbmeyer@louisville.edu>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 19:18:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

No, if Peter may respond to Barry, the whole point is NOT to promulgate one-size-fits-all standards. The claw-back provisions in the economic development programs I remember from the 1970s, starting with some in Pennsylvania, did not involve the state government in setting specific standards, other than minima to qualify for state support, but the developers or new businesses declarign what they thought they could acheive as they applied for higher levels of public support. All the clawbacks did was hold them to commitment they VOLUNTARILY made in return for public dollars.

Who is being punished in such a regime, Barry? Perhaps it was companies whose markets disappeared and who could ot generate the needed number of jobs, but all that I have proposed is a level of mitigation as a condition to which clawbacks might apply -- that is much more under the control of the developers!

Peter