2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Bruce-Sean Reshen" <reshen@mindspring.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2006 00:41:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Petoskey Pointe (MI) tax credit debate

Robert Paterson's recent comments raise several interesting issues.  The
first issue raised is "Why give a subsidy if the benefits are already
positive?"  The supposition behind such a question is that any positive
benefit to an individual is better than zero benefit, so why subsidize
that individual at all.  The answer (most appropriate to entry level
economics courses) is that the individual has an array of choices each
yielding a certain rate of return.  A rational individual will, all
other things being equal, choose the highest rate of return offered.
(Note that the gross returns may all be thought of as involving a risk
component; in turn, yielding a net risk-weighted rate of return.)  If we
wish to influence the individual to choose what we regard as the
socially optimal choice, then the amount of the subsidy should be the
difference between the individual's highest potential rate of return
minus the rate of return on the activity we wish the individual to
engage in.
For example, if the individual could receive 12% and our socially
optimal activity yields 4%, then we must pay the individual a subsidy of
8% if we want that individual to choose our desired activity.  It is
also true that if the individual's other choice is 2%, then it is
unnecessary to subsidize the individual at all.  In fact, in this second
example It is sophomoric to believe that any time a given return is
positive that it is unnecessary to offer a subsidy.  It is only true in
a totalitarian society where the individual has no other choice
available.

The second issue concerns the writer's assumption that "we" have a
"right" to demand a "payoff" to society commensurate with the amount of
the subsidy.  I agree that on a given project, society (as interpreted,
hopefully, through some democratic decision-making procedure) can demand
that a developer do "good" for society.  I interpret this as meaning the
developer should provide some social benefits equal to the amount of the
subsidy.  However, we realize from the above analysis that the subsidy
is an amount that makes the developer "whole" in terms of the achievable
market rates of return on alternative available projects.  Thus, if we
want the developer to do more, we must further increase the subsidy to
adequately compensate the developer.

The real question is not whether or not to subsidize the developer, but
what is the correct amount of the subsidy, given the developer's
available alternative returns on competing projects.  Society has every
right to be certain that it is not wantonly subsidizing projects beyond
what is necessary to attract the developer to what society deems is a
socially important project.
Bruce-Sean Reshen
p. 203-259-1850
c. 917-757-5925