2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 05:08:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee dorm project

Brownfield grant clears way for new UWM dorm

Milwaukee Small Business Times (WI)
October 11, 2006

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Real Estate Foundation Inc. today received a $100,000 Blight Elimination and Brownfield Redevelopment (BEBR) grant from the Wisconsin Department of Commerce to help clear the way for construction of a new student dormitory.

The grant will help UWM remediate a four-acre site at 1194 East North Ave., where the university plans to construct a six-story dorm. Total costs for the remediation will be nearly $1 million, and the total investment in the form project will exceed $26 million. Five new full-time jobs with health insurance benefits will be created within two years of the completion of the project.

"Through my 'Grow Wisconsin' plan, we are strengthening our cities by restoring vacant and blighted commercial and industrial areas to productive use," said Gov. Jim Doyle.

http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2006/10/11/brownfield-grant-clears-way-for-new-uwm-dorm

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org