2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 Aug 2006 08:34:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Cortlandville (NY) vapor intrusion)

DEC outlines TCE clean up
About 20 homes in Lamont Circle neighborhood will require mitigation

By COREY PRESTON Cortland Standard (NY) August 3, 2006

CORTLANDVILLE - Despite the presence of toxic chemicals in the air in at least 70 homes northwest of the former Smith Corona facility on Route 13, state officials emphasize that the contamination is not a significant health concern.

"We don't expect any adverse effects from the indoor air levels that we've found in the area," Henri Hamel, a representative of the state Department of Health, said at an informational meeting held Wednesday at the Cortlandville Fire Hall.

The State Department of Environmental Conservation has been conducting testing for trichloroethene (TCE) in areas northwest of the former Smith Corona site since February.

The DEC began with widespread soil vapor tests and then narrowed its focus, testing the air inside homes in areas where soil contamination was most prominent.

http://www.cortlandstandard.net/story001.html