2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 23:04:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: New RI school siting law]

From: Steve Fischbach <steve.fischbach@gmail.com>

Hi everyone:

I think I told some of you that our state environmental agency had
legislation introduced relating to school siting.  Well, that
legislation passed and was signed into law.  The text of the legislation
is available on line and can be found at:
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/PublicLaws/law06/law06250.htm

This new law requires sponsors of any school, child care facility or
recreational facility for public use proposed for a site where
contamination is known or suspected exist to:

    * conduct an "all appropriate inquiries" study of the site
    * after the "all appropriate inquiries" study is completed, hold a
public meeting to get additional environmental information about the
site and to discuss clean up objectives for the site
    * notify the public about the meeting in writing
    * solicit public comment regarding the use of the site for school or
other purposes
    * submit a report to DEM containing the all appropriate inquiries
analysis and public comment received
    * refrain from undertaking construction or remediation work at the
site until the public meeting and public comment period has occurred.

This law is definitely a step in the right direction, but falls way
short of meeting the siting guidelines we recommended in our school
siting study.  That's for another day.

-- Steven Fischbach Community Lawyer Rhode Island Legal Services 56 Pine Street--Suite 400 Providence, RI 02903

401-274-2652 X-182
401-453-0310 (fax)
steve.fischbach@gmail.com <mailto:steve.fischbach@gmail.com>

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org