2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 May 2006 18:26:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] New York bill to require faster VI results reporting

[New York State has perhaps the nation's most aggressive, systematic program for investigating vapor intrusion. It's ironic - and appropriate - that the more they do, the more they find, and they find, the more residents (and their elected officials) want them to to. - LS]

Assembly passes TCE testing bill

By JENNIE DALEY
Ithaca Journal (NY)
May 12, 2006

ITHACA - The state Assembly on Wednesday passed legislation that will shorten the lag time for homeowners between when their homes are tested for trichloroethylene, or TCE, and when they receive the test results.
Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton, D-125th, sponsored the bill.

Under the law, the state Department of Environmental Conservation would have a one- month limit between the time it secures a valid test and when homeowners need to be notified of the test's findings. Lifton said some Ithaca homeowners were waiting two months or longer for their results.

“For a while we were sympathetic to the DEC, but I just think it's unacceptable for people to be sitting around feeling anxious, wondering about their kids, if they're sitting in a pool of pollution, so I decided to draft a bill,” Lifton said.

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060512/NEWS01/605120356&SearchID=73244451226946
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org