2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 06:20:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE and racism in Dickson County, Tennessee

Toxic Terror in a Tennessee Town
Government Makes Black Family Wait for Clean Water

by Robert D. Bullard
Environmental Justice Resource Center, Clark Atlanta University (GA)
February 22, 2006

What would you call an individual who climbs the water tower in Dickson, Tennessee and deliberately dumps deadly chemicals in the town's drinking water supply that ultimately makes local residents sick? Most of us would label that person a toxic terrorist. We would certainly expect to see the Office of Homeland Security, the FBI, the EPA, state and local officials, and a host of other government agencies with strange initials deployed to the small town in warp speed. We would expect the emergency response to be swift and thorough. If such an unthinkable event happened, there is a good chance that the culprit would be hunted down, tried, and mostly likely convicted and sent straight to jail.

What would you call government officials who knew about this unthinkable act, covered it up, twisted the facts, and penalized the victims who got sick from drinking the contaminated water? We would mostly likely label the officials incompetent and their response as bordering on the criminal. We have other names for people like this, but they are not fit to print. The actions would likely prompt government hearings, investigations, and lots of media coverage.

The above scenario did not occur. And we are thankful. However, Dickson, Tennessee is a real town with a real toxic threat—a threat borne disproportionately by its black residents. Dickson, a town of 12,244, is located about 35 miles west of Nashville.

From American Dream to Toxic Nightmare

After slavery, dozens of black families acquired hundreds of acres of land—not part of the empty "40 acres and a mule" government promise—and lived a quiet and peaceful existence in Dickson's historically black Eno Road community. That is, until their wells were poisoned by a county landfill. Although Dickson County is only 4.5 percent black, the city and county fathers for nearly six decades singled out the small rural, and mostly black Eno Road community to locate their garbage dumps, landfills, transfer stations, and toxic waste sites. The waste sites are all located on Eno Road approximately 1.5 miles southwest of Dickson.

One African American family in particular, the Holt family, a family of black landowners that have deep roots in the Eno Road community, has been especially harmed by the environmental assaults of the city and county landfills. The Holt family members are riddled with cancer and other illnesses. Contamination from the local county landfill is the chief suspect behind their illnesses.

For the entire article, see
http://www.ejrc.cau.edu/DicksonArticleRDB.html