2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 05:25:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Renard Isle, Brown County, Wisconsin

State rejects Renard Isle proposal

DNR wants more details on Brown County's plan

By Paul Brinkmann
Green Bay Press-Gazette (WI)
March 12, 2006

Neighborhood groups are claiming victory in a battle to ensure pollution from Renard Isle is cleaned up properly.

A proposal to continue using the manmade island as storage for contaminated soil has been sent back to Brown County for more work — a lot more work.

"I thought we were going to lose out to politics, but the state realized we weren't exaggerating our concern about the environment," said Bill Acker, a member of the Nicolet Drive Neighborhood Association, which opposed the county's plan for the island.

Renard is a 55-acre island at the mouth of the Fox River. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wants to turn over ownership of the island to Brown County. The biggest problem with the island is PCB contamination — polychlorinated biphenyls that are a probable cancer-causing chemical.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060312/GPG0101/603120690/1207/GPGnews