2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Feb 2006 22:19:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Armstrong World Industries Site, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Press Release
Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
February 21, 2006

Pennsylvania Governor Rendell Hastening Redevelopment of Armstrong World Industries Site in Lancaster

Plan Calls for Creating up to 2,000 Jobs in 'Eds & Meds' Mixed-Use Complex; Collegiate & Community Recreation Fields at Site of Former Manufacturer

HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Governor Edward G. Rendell today announced plans to help speed up the redevelopment of 47 acres at the former Armstrong World Industries manufacturing site in Lancaster. The project will create up to 2,000 jobs, preserve another 250 manufacturing positions at the site and provide a new collegiate and community recreation complex in the northwestern corner of the city.

"We're bringing new jobs and investments to our cities, towns and boroughs to enhance the quality of life for residents," Governor Rendell said. "I want to see prime real estate returned to productive use. I want to rebuild these old industrial sites to build up our tax base. This project achieves those goals and ensures we continue our solid record of improving Pennsylvania's economy."

Environmental Protection Secretary Kathleen A. McGinty said the redevelopment project has qualified for Brownfield Action Team assistance, which helps to accelerate redevelopment deals and gives investors the incentive they need to clean up contaminated industrial sites. BAT projects typically get permitted in half the usual time.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060221/phtu041.html?.v=36