2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Dec 2005 22:11:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Friulian (Italy) model for disaster recovery

Submitted by Eve Bach evebach@arcecology.org

FRIULIAN PHOENIX
A historic region of Italy, hit by an earthquake in 1976, provides a model for New Orleans' reconstruction

Laura Thomas
San Francisco Chronicle
December 17, 2005

In 1976, an earthquake hit the center of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, a region in northeastern Italy where my mother was born. It comes to mind as I think about the destruction of certain New Orleans neighborhoods from the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina and the debate over whether they are worth rebuilding. The story of Friuli convinces me that they can and should be rebuilt.

The shaking began in Friuli at 9 p.m. as families were watching the telegiornale, the national news. When it was over, about 1,000 people had been killed in a 3,300-square-mile area, including about 100 workers in a rubber factory and an entire billet of carabinieri, Italy's state police. Dozens of villages were destroyed; their stone and plaster houses, churches and old walls, some dating from the Middle Ages, crumbled.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/12/17/HOG09G85TH1.DTL