2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Aug 2005 20:31:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Congressman Hinchey on TCE

Office of Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY)
For Immediate Release

August 24, 2005

Hinchey, Endicott Residents Call For More Comprehensive Studies On
Cancer & Birth Defect Rates; Urge Public To Comment On Newly Released NY
State Dept. of Health Study

Congressman Visits Endicott Immediately Following Release Of New
Federal-State Report

Endicott, NY - Less than 24 hours after the release of a New York State
Department of Health (NYS DOH)/ U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and
Disease Registry (ATSDR) report detailing increased rates of certain
types of cancer and birth defects for the people of Endicott,
Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and concerned local residents today
called for more comprehensive studies to determine in greater detail the
health risks posed by trichloroethylene (TCE), the toxic substance
believed to potentially contribute to these higher rates.  Speaking at
Endicott Village Hall, Hinchey, who initiated the joint NYS-DOH/ATSDR
study through legislation in 2003, also urged residents to use the
30-day public comment period to come forward with their health concerns
and share their comments on the new report with the New York State
Department of Health.

"The study is noteworthy because it states in black and white, for the
first time, what many of us have suspected all along: that the high rate
of certain illnesses, including cancer incidences, can not be attributed
to chance alone," Hinchey said. "Anytime residents' health and
well-being are jeopardized, we need to err on the side of caution.  This
report is by no means the end of our effort to safeguard the health and
safety of Endicott residents.  Rather, it is the first step from which
we will launch more comprehensive and broader initiatives on behalf of
each and every Endicott resident.  I believe this report warrants
additional study by the NYS DOH as to causality.  However, in the
interim, we need to do everything in our power to remedy residents'
indoor air and monitor homes closely with the goal of halting any
further exposure of people to TCE vapors."

TCE is a suspected carcinogen and neurotoxin that's made its way into
400-500 homes in Hinchey's congressional district due to vapor
intrusion.  Hinchey noted that the newly released report reveals that
Endicott residents have displayed elevated incidences of testicular
cancer (twice the average level epidemiologists expected to find),
kidney cancer (twice the expected rate), heart defects in newborns (2.5
times the expected rate), as well as low birth weights.

As the studies have proceeded, Hinchey also focused on ensuring that the
health of residents is protected in the interim.  To help accomplish
that goal, Hinchey inserted language in the Interior Appropriations bill
for Fiscal Year 2006, which passed Congress in July and was signed into
law by the president earlier this month.  The measure calls on the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to develop a plan for keeping
residents safe from TCE, which in 2001, was found to be up to 65 times
more toxic than originally thought.

"The EPA is in an arduous, years-long process of revamping their risk
assessments for TCE exposure to better protect public health," Hinchey
said.  "However, in the interim, we have urged them to set a protective
health standard for TCE exposure based on current National Academy of
Sciences studies. That's why my amendment to EPA's budget bill passed
this year -- because Congress agreed that EPA ought to consider setting
interim standards for TCE exposure that would be more protective of
public health than those that currently exist."

Current and former Endicott residents, and anyone with an interest in
the impacts of environmental contamination on public health, are
encouraged to review this report and share it with experts they may
know, and send comments to the NYS DOH during the current 30 day comment
period, which began on August 23.

"It is critically important that local residents speak up to share their
concerns and also to help inform officials of potential cancer and other
cases that may have been missed in this first study," Hinchey said. "I
will be very closely involved in this process and will fight to ensure
everything possible is done to protect the public."

Hinchey vowed to fight for any additional federal legislation or funding
that may be needed for additional studies and cleanup of TCE.

For the original press release, go to
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ny22_hinchey/morenews/082405endicott.html