2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Aug 2005 17:48:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Homes on a contaminated Hollison (MA) site?

[I know I must sound like a broken record (if anyone remembers that
antiquated figure of speech), but it is imperative that environmental
regulatory agencies, in consultation with all stakeholder groups,
develop guidance as to where and when it is safe/appropriate to build
homes on contaminated sites. Local planning jurisdictions generally do
not have the expertise to make such decisions, and institutional
controls are rarely in place. - LS]

Health board asked for help

By Tyler B. Reed
MetroWest Daily News (MA)
August 2, 2005

HOLLISTON -- Leaders of the local group that opposes a developer's plans
to build homes on the Bird property asked the Board of Health last night
to become more involved in the Zoning Board of Appeals' review of the
plans.

The Board of Health has "an important role as the health adviser to the
ZBA," John Lynch of the Holliston Hopkinton Action Committee said last
night.

The Board of Health does not have the power to approve or reject the
developer's plans, which were filed under state 40B regulations. Local
approval rests solely in the hands of the ZBA, which can issue a
comprehensive permit.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=105160