2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jul 2005 06:26:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Remediation as a solution to vapor intrusion

Tonight the Northeast Mountain View Advisory Council, of which I am a
member, confirmed the wording of a resolution it passed at its April
meeting. The resolution makes two key points regarding vapor intrusion
at the GTE site in Mountain View (CA).

1) Engineering controls are a short-term solution that should be
supplemented with accelerated remediation.

2) Where new homes are proposed for property where vapor intrusion is
likely, remediation should be conducted before construction.

The wording is below.

Lenny

*********

Northeast MountainView Advisory Council (NMAC)

NMAC Position on GTE Site Investigation Draft Final Report

(Adopted by NMAC at regular meeting on April 20, 2005)

Extensive testing has indicated that current TCE vapor intrusion into
existing homes at the GTE site from TCE in groundwater and soil is
minimal and does not pose a significant health risk. Pumping to extract
TCE from groundwater under the site will continue for many decades. In
the meantime, slabs and vapor barriers, which now protect homes from
vapor intrusion, will develop cracks and leaks as they age.

Therefore we recommend that advanced technology be used to reduce TCE in
the groundwater plumes and soil much more quickly than pumping alone.

We also recommend that no new homes or offices be constructed over TCE
in groundwater or soil until advanced technology has first remediated it
to concentrations that will be unlikely to cause unacceptable levels of
vapor intrusion.

For the original, see
http://www.whisman.net/nmac/Meetings/Mtg2005-07-20/NMAC_PositionOnGTE-Report_2005-04-20.php