2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 23:14:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Response to vapor intrusion comments

On June 1 we posted the comments that Cambridge Environmental, Inc. sent the New York Department of Health about its draft vapor intrusion guidance. See
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/brownfields/2005/msg00210.html

I think the New York guidance is a strong practical guidance, and in my detailed comments I put forward some suggestions for making it more protective.

I strongly disagree with the Cambridge Environmental perspective. Not only am I offended, in this context, with the monetary valuation of human life, but it's important in reviewing costs and benefits to consider who bears the costs as well as who benefits from the environmental response.

The public benefits when people are exposed less to TCE and other vapor contaminants. The polluter must absorb the costs of cleanup. Spreading the costs to the public, in the form of disease and even death, benefits those who are responsible for toxic releases. That's why the "polluter pays" principle is fair.

It's also practical. The fact that users of hazardous substances have been made liable for cleanup has forced them to clean up their acts. That is, most industrial users of TCE have stopped using it. It hasn't been outlawed, but they wish to avoid the cost of future cleanup.

The Cambridge letter also misrepresents New York's interim 5 micrograms per cubic meter health standard for TCE in residential air. New York's findings are independent of EPA's 2001 Health Risk Assessment. EPA's study, if accepted, would justify a .017 micrograms per cubic meter health standard. New York's number is based upon non-cancer risks. The Department of Health considered a lower number than 5, based upon the cancer risk, but it decided without (in my opinion) adequate justification that the cancer data were too weak. Even though New York has aggressively investigated vapor intrusion at numerous sites, it "5" five is less protective than the action levels in many other states and regions.

Finally, consultants for some of the responsible parties in Mountain View, where I live, have found ways to lower the detection limit for TCE in air to the .017 standard. Those numbers are low, but contamination at that level needs to be found and measured as part of comprehensive efforts to control vapor exposures.

Lenny

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org