2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 May 2005 03:15:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Parchment (MI) paper mill (really!)

City gets grant for cleanup-related costs at former paper mill

D. Person
Kalamazoo Gazette
May 14, 2005

The city of Parchment received two pieces of good news this week in its
continuing quest to get its vacant paper mill property redeveloped and
back on the tax rolls.
 First was approval of a federal grant for environmental work at the
mill site; that was followed by a state appeals court victory for the
city in a lawsuit brought by a former potential developer.

 A $248,000 allocation to pay for cleanup-related expenses at the former
mill property was tucked into a massive bill allocating $82 billion,
mostly for war expenses, that was signed by President Bush on Wednesday.

 "It is a bill that had the funding for the U.S. military for combat
operations ... and a number of other things, and our request was tacked
on there," Parchment City Manager Ronald Fleckenstein said. "I would
expect sometime in the next several weeks we would have that grant
money."

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1116066057250720.xml