2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 02:34:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Activists criticize NY Department of Health

Critics say state is stalling on TCE policy

'We are spinning our wheels with the DOH'

BY TOM WILBER
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin (NY)
March 8, 2005

It will likely take the state four months or more to locate documents
regarding changes in a controversial policy for pollution affecting
hundreds of homes in the Southern Tier, Department of Health attorney
Robert LoCicero said.

Some community advocates said the agency is stalling to keep the public
from participating in an important debate while it forms policy behind
closed doors.

LoCicero was responding to a request under the Freedom of Information
Law from the Press & Sun-Bulletin for records relating to the change in
the agency's rules and guidelines for trichloroethylene (TCE) in air.

"The DOH, for whatever reason, always stalls," said Alan Turnbull,
coordinator of Resident Action Group of Endicott, a citizens group
working with state officials to address pollution in the village. "It
doesn't give people involved very much confidence in them."

http://www.pressconnects.com/tuesday/news/stories/ne030805s152962.shtml