2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Feb 2005 23:50:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] RE: Brownfields Digest, Vol 6, Issue 17 - clarification (Schefski.Kenneth@epama

I don't know enough about New York's old Voluntary Cleanup Program to
know what the state promised developers, so I'm not going to argue that point.

Rather, I want to address what the government SHOULD promise potential
developers. I don't think government agencies should provide an ironclad
"no further action" promise, no matter what health threat emerges
unexpectedly, unless the government is willing to bear the costs of
protecting the public - particularly buyers or users of the property -
from those health threats. And in today's fiscal climate, I don't expect
many governmental jurisdictions to come up with the money.

I think it is possible to encourage developers to take on impaired
properties in such circumstances, because environmental insurance is
available to spread the risk. It should be clear, however, the sweeping
contamination under the figurative rug is not as likely to be protective
of public health, in the long run, as treatment or removal, and
insurance providers can be expected to charge higher premiums for
greater residual risk.

The consequence of not providing for re-openers due to public health
risk is ugly. It may simply mean more people are exposed to hazardous
substances.  More troublesome to the Brownfields concept, in many cases
homebuyers or other users of redeveloped property will seek redress
through the courts, not only for the potential impact on their
children's  health but for the impact of unaddressed risk on the value
of their properties. Perhaps the impact of a litigation free-for-all
could be minimized by the adoption of strong, practical standards for
pre-sale disclosure. But the problems will not go away just because we
close our eyes.

I want housing to be built on brownfields, but I believe any site with
shallow contamination with volatile compounds merits extra care. The
brownfields ideal is large enough to encompass that care, whether now or
in the future.

Lenny