2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 20:11:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Rep. Kelly on TCE

[Earlier this week Congresswoman Sue Kelly (R-New York) sent the
following letter to EPA. - LS]

January 18, 2005

Ms. Kathleen Callahan
Region 2 Acting Regional Administrator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
290 Broadway
New York, NY 10007-1866

Dear Administrator Callahan:

Over the past year, I worked closely with your predecessor Jane Kenny on
behalf of my constituents living within the Hopewell Precision
contamination site in East Fishkill, N.Y. and greatly appreciate the EPA
naming this neighborhood to the National Priorities List this past fall.
 We had a very good working relationship which I hope to duplicate with you.

Most recently, several of my constituents in Hopewell Junction have
contacted me with serious concerns about the current Region 2 guideline
levels for trichloroethylene (TCE).  They question why California (EPA
Region 9) has a guidance level of .017 micrograms per meter and
neighboring Connecticut (EPA Region 1) is set at .19 micrograms per
meter, while Region 2 is operating at a significantly higher level of
2.7 micrograms per meter. At a critical time when these residents are
facing possible health risks in their own homes, the higher level seems
unacceptable.  Hopewell Junction residents deserve the same kind of EPA
protection as their counterparts across the country.

My constituents living in this neighborhood have endured much undue
hardship over the past few years as a result of this contamination.  I
urge you to accelerate the promulgation of a new, more protective TCE
guidance level for Region 2 that is consistent with other EPA Regions in
the country.  This action would enable a more immediate response to the
TCE contamination problem in Hopewell Junction.  Anything we can do to
alleviate their burden, such as requiring the same TCE standard in their
neighborhood as in other sections of the country, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.  Please let me
know how we can work together to better serve these residents' needs.

Sincerely,

Sue W. Kelly
Member of Congress