2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Dec 2004 16:42:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE standards in Endicott, NY

Endicott spills: Some lose aid for cleanup as rules change

State loosens TCE guidelines

BY TOM WILBER
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin (NY)
December 14, 2004

When Endicott neighbors compare notes about how IBM Corp. and the state
are trying to clean their polluted neighborhood, they get some
surprising results.

IBM is helping some property owners but not others affected by vapors
from a chemical called trichloroethylene (TCE) seeping into basements.

Why?

The state Department of Health loosened its guidelines for acceptable
levels of TCE in indoor air while IBM was still working on properties
affected by pollution south of its former micro-electronics plant on
North Street.

Endicott residents are just beginning to learn the consequences of the
change, which took effect in October 2003 without a public hearing or
debate: People who would have qualified for a cleanup and possible
compensation for pollution under the old rules are excluded under the
new ones.

"I am almost in denial because it's so depressing to me," said Shanon
Kolb, who lives at 31 Arthur Ave. with her two children. "This home is
my biggest, most major investment. I've really worked my rear end off
for it."

http://www.pressconnects.com/today/news/stories/ne121404s136042.shtml