2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Dec 2004 03:47:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Housing at Gates site?

Gates Corp. reveals tainted groundwater

By April M. Washington
Rocky Mountain News (CO)
December 9, 2004

A Gates Corp. official disclosed Wednesday that high levels of
contaminants have been detected in the groundwater on its site just east
of Broadway along Interstate 25, a revelation that is fueling concerns
about potential health risks to nearby neighborhoods.

Tom Reeve, Gates' director of corporate development, told a City Council
committee that samples from a groundwater monitoring well on its
property found levels of a chemical solvent known as trichloroethylene,
or TCE, to be 10,000 times greater than the state standard that could
trigger indoor air quality testing of nearby homes and businesses.

Some area residents and the Front Range Economic Strategy Center - which
began pushing for wide-scale testing of the site and surrounding areas
more than a year ago - called the discovery of high-level contaminants
"a bombshell."

They are demanding that a comprehensive assessment be undertaken to
determine the "degree and extent" of toxic contamination for the entire
area surrounding the former Gates Rubber plant.

"I think it's important to have an idea of the extent of contamination
before the city approves the site for residential use," said Don
Holmstrom of the Front Range Economic Strategy Center, a labor watchdog
organization. "We think someone needs to hold Gates' feet to the fire.
We think a genuine public process is the key."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3386110,00.html