2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Sep 2004 06:24:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] More on Hopewell Precision site

Site in line for Superfund aid

Pollution linked to '70s dumping

By Dan Shapley
Poughkeepsie Journal
September 24, 2004

HOPEWELL JUNCTION -- A Hopewell Junction neighborhood has been nominated
to become a federal Superfund site.

Once the designation becomes final, which is expected, the Environmental
Protection Agency will begin studying how best to supply a permanent
source of drinking water to the neighborhood, and how best to address
the contaminated groundwater itself. The designation also would make the
site eligible for expanded federal funding.

"Without this money from the federal government, we could never be a
safe neighborhood, as far as our health is concerned," said Creamery
Road resident Debra Hall, whose air and water is being filtered because
of contamination. "We need to make sure that our air is breathable and
our water is drinkable."

Solution may be far off

Based on other Superfund sites, however, it will likely be years before
residents see a permanent solution to their contamination problems --
and the announcement doesn't settle all funding questions.

for the entire article, see
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/today/localnews/stories/lo092404s1.shtml