2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Jul 2004 08:46:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Employees and Indoor Air and "LIU 18"

Cancer-link probe targets illnesses at IU

By Tom Venesky
The Citizens' Voice (PA)
July 25, 2004

An environmental law attorney in Houston, Texas, said he is investigating a
possible link between Luzerne Intermediate Unit 18 employees' prolonged
exposure to the hazardous chemical trichloroethene (TCE) and several serious
illnesses - including cancer.

Attorney James B. Blackburn Jr., of the firm Blackburn Carter, said he is
representing "10 to 15" Luzerne Intermediate Unit 18 employees and is currently
"investigating various courses of legal action."

While investigating various legal avenues, Blackburn said he is examining the
types of illnesses and diseases experienced by employees and if they are linked
to TCE exposure.

"Some of the diseases and illnesses experienced by the group of people I
represent are among those listed as being linked to TCE exposure," he said,
adding liver and kidney problems, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, various nervous
system disorders and lupus are among the linked illnesses.

"We know that TCE was present in the building, so now we're doing the
toxicology portion before making a decision on legal courses of action."

for the entire article, see
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12472131&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id=455154&rfi=6