2003 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Jul 2003 22:36:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] All Appropriate Inquity rulemaking report

Bob and Lenny:

I have a few suggestions for dealing with the issues that you have laid out.

On issue # 1, in California, there is such a thing as a registered
environmental assessor, based on experience and education.  Its a
voluntary registration, costing about $100 year.  (I have let mine lapse
because I did not see any benefit from it). This type of certification
may be a model. There is absolutely no reason to require a PE or
registered geologist to conduct a Phase 1.  I would argue that what you
really need is someone to certify their findings (affidavit or notary),
and be held financially responsible (liable) for any obvious
carelessness.  However, you should debate whether "errors and omissions"
insurance is required.  Its very expensive, and many small firms and
individual practitioners like myself don't carry it.  In some instances
I have had to have it waived by the client.

On issue #2, interviewing the neighbors can be a suggested feature, but
should not be relied upon.  There are many questions, some of which
you've enumerated.  Most interviewers are bad, and most neighbors don't
want to be bothered.  Furthermore, what type of information would
trigger further investigation?  A mere rumor cannot.  If someone has
direct knowledge of illegal dumping, this should trigger a further
search.  I  suggest that a public meeting or notice in a local newspaper
be considered as an option to interviewing neighbors.  I don't agree
with the contention that these interviews would jeopardize development
by somehow putting the community on notice.  I think it profits everyone
if there is a free flow of information.

On issue #3, we know that data gaps will exist for many if not all
properties.  Just think of our own experience in Mountain View.
Emerging chemicals, new pathways, stricter standards.  Plus, to tell you
the truth, the historical record will not be good for many  sites.  A
tiered approach, as you suggest, may have to rely on more detailed
analysis such as spot sampling when the record is incomplete.  I think
that you should consider that if a property does not have a good
historical record, it should be excluded from having an AAI unless
physical sampling is done.

On issue #4, I think I've answered it in my response to the question above.

I'm concerned about another issue: that is, if a phase 1 investigation
(what ever the committee is going to call it) concludes that the site is
contaminated, or likely to be contaminated, what is done with this
information?  How is it recorded?  Who is responsible for making sure
its in the historical record?  How can you prevent unscrupulous
developers from hiding a report indicating likely contamination and then
obtaining another report by someone else.  This can only be prevented if
there is a good system for recording information that a Phase 1 is going
to take place.

Peter Strauss