2002 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 04:21:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EJ-Community caucus to meet in Charlotte

SEE YOU IN CHARLOTTE!

The National Environmental Justice/ Community Brownfields Caucus will
convene at Brownfields 2002 in Charlotte, NC, as we have at each of the
last several national Brownfields meetings. We plan two meetings:

Wednesday and Thursday nights (November 13 & 14)
8:00-10:00 pm (both nights)

Adams Mark Hotel Charlotte
555 S. McDowell Street
Carolina A Room

This is a chance to meet informally with other Brownfields community
activists, share experiences and ideas, and raise questions about
national, state, or local brownfields programs.

In addition, this year we will be asking participants to express their
views on the implementation of Section 211(b)(6) of the new Brownfields
law, which states:

"The [EPA] Administrator may provide, or fund eligible entities or
nonprofit organizations to provide, training, research, and technical
assistance to individuals and organizations, as appropriate, to
facilitate the inventory of brownfield sites, site assessments,
remediation of brownfield sites, community involvement, or site preparation."

What kind of training, research, and technical assistance do
environmental justice and other community groups need to participate
effectively in Brownfields projects and programs in their own communities?

Officials from U.S. EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
are being invited.

for more information, contact Lenny Siegel at CPEO.