2002 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: kkamlet@hotmail.com
Date: 5 Sep 2002 20:14:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] New York's Brownfields and Voluntary Cleanup Programs: How They

You make an interesting point, but I'm not sure I understand what it is.

40 CFR 311 and 29 CFR 1910.120 address worker protection during hazardous
waste cleanup. How do New York's overly restrictive brownfields cleanup
requirements threaten "the life, health, and safety of the citizens of NY
and the municipal workers whose jobs may require them to be on a waste
site"?

The State of New York may be "recoil[ing] from public responsibility" in
making it too difficult redevelop brownfield sites and in not subjecting
their policies and procedures to full public review and comment.  But how
does this impinge on the health and safety of municipal workers?  And what
aspects of this will come back to "bite" us all in the court system?

Ken Kamlet
    Kenneth S. Kamlet, Esquire
    Director of Legal Affairs
    Newman Development Grp., L.L.C.