2002 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Jun 2002 07:53:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EJ and zoning

I am hoping that someone on the list-serv can help me with
information and/or advice about how environmental justice criteria
might be incorporated in zoning ordinances.

The city of Cincinnati is under-going a major review and re-write of
its zoning ordinances.  The zoning and planning department has
encouraged the city's environmental advisory council (a formal
advisory group made up of citizen volunteers, of which I am a member)
to submit proposals for including EJ criteria in the zoning document.
This is a great opportunity to do something groundbreaking in
Cincinnati and perhaps the country.

My questions are:

1. Are you aware of any city that has EJ criteria/conditions in its
zoning document?  If so, do you know where/how I might read their
document?

2.  Do you have any suggestions for how to best incorporate EJ
criteria into a zoning ordinance?

3.  Are you aware of law and/or policy journal articles that discuss
this issue?

Thanks in advance,

John

John Delicath
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
Research Associate, Center for Environmental Communication Studies
University of Cincinnati
(513) 556-4442
delicajw@email.uc.edu