2002 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Jan 2002 16:55:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Bush Signs Brownfields Law

The Inquirer (Philadelphia)
Friday, January 11, 2002

Bush Visits Conshohocken, Signs Brownfields Bill

By Sonya Ross
ASSOCIATED PRESS

In a visit to Conshohocken, President Bush signed legislation this
morning to clean up thousands of polluted industrial sites, a measure he
lauded as evidence of what happens "when people decide to cooperate, not
bicker" in Congress.

Bush traveled to the Montgomery County suburb to sign the bill, a
five-year plan to provide up to $250 million a year to states, local
governments and Indian tribes to clean up the sites, known as
brownfields.

"We are returning common sense to our cleanup program," Bush said. "We
will protect innocent small-business owners and employees from unfair
lawsuits and focus our efforts instead on actually cleaning up
contaminated sites.

"Environmental protection and economic growth can go on together," he
said.

The president cited the brownfields bill as an example of
bipartisanship, in which elected officials say, "I'm proud of my
political party. But I'm more proud of my country. And I want ... to do
what's right for America first, not my political party."

for the entire story, see
http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2002/01/11/local_news/11SBUSH.htm

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org