2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: atom@usc.edu
Date: 1 May 2001 18:40:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] New schools, communities & brownfields

Dear Colleagues:

I am working on my Planning, Design & Development Project for my
professional doctorate at the University of Southern California.  I am
investigating the community participation in the site selection of new
public schools in urban areas and how they contribute to ensuring new
school sites are clean and safe and help revitalize low income inner city
areas.

I am looking for contacts at urban public school districts that are
involved in identifying, selecting & building new public schools in
developed urban areas & would like to interview them over the phone about
their process & involvement of the community.

It would help my efforts greatly if folks on the listserve could point me
to a contact(s) in their local school district where a major construction
campaign to relieve existing overcrowding & plan to accommodate growing
student population.  Even if you don't have a personal contact,
information about the construction activities of your school district will
help me focus in on 3 examples nationwide.  My main case study is on Los
Angeles Unified School District, which is notorious in the environmental
safety & community participation arenas.  I am shooting to include 3
California school districts & three from other states in identifying best
practices that will be recommended to LAUSD & hopefully utilized by other
urban school districts.

Thank you for your assistance.

^^^^
Allison Tom-Miura                                         atom@scf.usc.edu

Doctoral Program in Planning and Development Studies  (310)559-8755ph/fx
School of Policy, Planning, and Development
University of Southern California (USC)