2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <egraham@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] brownfields reading list suggestion -- please advise.

Let me suggest some topics and questions:

1. How is that Brownfields persist in the face of the laws that require
apprehension and punishment of offenders and removal of the harmful
substances?
2. What role did insurance plan in promoting the presence of
Brownfields?
3. What role do the certifications play in Brownfield Cooperative
Agreements, e.g., Health and Safety Plan requirements to protect
employees and communities?

Use the text of federal regulations and statutes, as laws of the land,
to frame a critical context.

Use the EPA statement on Public Participation to frame the normative
frame for citizen involvement.

Finally I'd recommend Clapp's "Discretionary Justice" as a contextual
framework for understanding the   "practical" (habit, tact) nature of
regulatory justice.

As we move forward to solve the hazardous waste site issue, we're sure
to encounter the contradictions that form the inertia of our practices.

Emery