1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: slangel@lrp.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:33:42 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] A question . . .

I am the editor of a environmental law and liability journal. I am preparing
a story concerning the difficulties that prospective developers have when
federal revolving loans are involved.

I had read a story wherein there are major delays in Brownfields
redevelopment efforts because the federal dollars come through the Superfund
program. Therefore, the funds for these projects are subject to the same
complex requirements that apply to the more polluted Superfund sites. A
proposed solution involved separating Brownfields from the Superfund
program, thereby allowing less stringent regulations. Also, some municipal
officials want to hire private environmental experts instead of government
employees to monitor cleanups. Additionally, some have sought an expansion
of what these loan funds cover, to extend to contaminants such as asbestos
and petroleum.

I wondered if you had heard anything about this problem and the proposed
solution to it? Is there any legislation pending to make these requirements
less stringent and separate from Superfund? Are there any solutions on the
horizon? Is there anyone I can contact for further information?

Thank you,

Stephen Langel
Real Estate & Environmental Liability News
(561) 622-6520
Ext. 8726