1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: jspagnol@calepa.ca.gov
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:24:45 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: Re[2]: [CPEO-BIF] Urban Growth Boundaries

Martha your point is very well taken.

Talking to a fellow last night with some experience in demographics and he
opined that, if you look at the median/mean ages of those arriving in
California and our current sub-population of young adults, including those
up to ages 35, etc., the population "boom" is already here in babies yet to
be born, let alone young people continuing to arrive in California for all
the right response, e.g., jobs, climate, lifestyle, etc.. .

Tough issue to address but certainly relevant. A few years ago Sierra Club
attempted to get into this discussion and, as I recall, was vilified for it,
e.g. arrogant, elitist, etc.

Trouble is, without that as part of the discussion, you always have an
"unknown" which can throw projections off and muddle forecasts, projections,
etc.  (These are my personal opinions of course, and do not reflect the
position of Cal/EPA or the Secretary, etc., etc.)

Comments from others?