1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Clay.Carter@cclr.org
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:09:55 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Urban Growth Boundaries

Peter,

Sorry if my original posting was unclear.  When I said that "urban
affordable housing is not a policy priority," I meant it literally - NOT
that it was my position.  Of course affordable housing should be a very high
public policy priority.  It simply isn't.

I do believe that, when considering the tool of urban growth boundaries, we
must give significant attention to the inherent challenges to implementing
affordable housing policies that are associated with the laudable measure of
limiting developable land.  I realize that urban growth boundaries are one
of a variety of variables that create pressure on housing costs. However, as
property values in inner-cities increase (for whatever reason), is it
possible for the economics and politics of real estate development to be
harmoniously coupled with the desire of low-income urban community residents
to maintain/restore the character of their neighborhoods?

The dynamics of urban growth boundaries absolutely relate to questions
concerning gentrification and community displacement while promoting urban
redevelopment and the prevention of sprawl.  I think that this topic gets at
some of the most fundamental, and difficult, questions associated with real
estate development/brownfield redevelopment, land use planning, sprawl
prevention and urban community self-reliance (or revitalization).

Clay